hubbardston, michigan
home timeline
history books
Hubbardston history books available at The Celtic Path in Hubbardston

North Plains Township and Hubbardston Village Timeline
  • 1826 French fur trader Louis Genereau established post on Maple River which became Lyons
  • 1831 North Plains Township was designated
  • 1834 Land Office established in Ionia
  • May 1836 Hiram Brown and Hector Hayes from Bristol, NY bought land in North Plains
  • 1836 J. R. Langdon from Montpelier, Vermont bought 2000 acres including the site for the Village of Hubbardston
  • 1849 John Cowman, first Irish Settler, bought land in Section 11.
  • 1851 Father George Godez (Austrian born) visited Hubbardston as a Missionary Priest from Westphalia
  • 1852 Joseph Brown of Kalamazoo bought 240 acres of the Langdon tract, site of today's Hubbardston. He also built a saw mill and dam.
  • 1853 Joseph Brown sold the land to Hubbard, Taylor and Co. (Thomas Hubbard, Wilson Homer, Noah Hitchcock, and N. W. Taylor
  • 1853 Hubbard, Taylor and Co. erected a small mill, boarding house, and tavern
  • 1853 First Catholic Chapel was built on Cowman farm
  • 1854 Mill was enlarged and a general store was started by J. T. Holbrook and D. F. Hunter
  • 1854 Asa Patrick and J. F. Collister joined Hubbard, Taylor and Co., Dam was improved
  • 1855 Saint John the Baptist parish was formed with Father Charles Bolte (later to found SS Peter and Paul parish in Ionia)
  • 1856 100 horse steam powered engine installed in the mill for a cutting capacity of 25,000 feet per day
  • 1856 Hubbardston's first hotel, the Howard House, was built
  • 1857 Howard House sold to Eli Welch
  • 1857 Grist Mill built by Patrick and Sabin, later called W. Homer Grist and Flouring Mill
  • 1857 First public school built, later used as the St. John the Baptist Parish Hall
  • Sep 13 1858 First Post Office established as Plains
  • 1859 Post Office re-named Hubbardston and James Holbrook appointed as Postmaster
  • 1859 Howard House burned
  • 1865 Tuscan Lodge No. 178 was formed
  • 1867 Hubbardston is an incorporated village of 1,200 people
  • 1868
    • St. John the Baptist Catholic Church was built for $8,000 seating 400 people, largest building in Ionia County
    • Wilson Homer is elected as first village President
    • Hubbardston Advertiser, owned by E. V. Phister, reported a score or more of businesses, 5 hotels, 2 boarding houses, and more than a few saloons
    • W. Homer Grist and Flouring mill produced 100 barrels per day, "Pride of the West" brand flour, now owned by Walter O'Neill
    • Four doctors were in Hubbardston, J. J. Robbins, Elmore Palmer, C. E. Hait, and I. Winegar
    • Dodge and Warner were Attorneys and D. R. Corey was the Notary Public, Insurance and Claims Agent
    • Perry and Abbott carried line of boots, shoes, harnesses, and trunks
    • Robert Gardner was wagon maker
    • W. Homer and Co. supplied lumber, lath, shingles, lumber camp supplies, flour, feed, and grain
    • Hubbardston Sash and Blind Company supplied sashes, doors, and blinds for mansions in Chicago
    • Stuck and Lusk Foundry manufactured parts for Studebaker wagons
    • Simon N. Smith made suction and force pumps
    • Redner and Drake operated a Grocery Store, D. R. Corey carried a line of staples
    • Tabor Brothers store carried dry goods, drugs, and medicines
    • Robbins and Wheeler sold drugs, paints, oils, dye stuffs, and Yankee notions
    • A. A. Sunderlin and Reynolds as well as R. Webber and Chatterton Brothers sold dry goods, crockery, farming tools, and furniture
  • 1869 North Plains Township contributed $10,000 to Jonesville, Marshall and Grand River Railroad to build a line to Hubbardston
  • 1870 North Plains Township contributed $25,000 to Westphalia, Hubbardston and Northern company plus $40,000 in private subscriptions -- no railroad line was built
  • 1871 The Central Fair Association was organized
  • 1874 Hubbardston Water Power Co. constructed Upper Dam for $15,000
  • 1874 Langdon Farm was laid out in lots, C. K. Bennett started a Handle Factory there
  • 1874 Wilson Homer sawmill sold to Cuddleback and Corey
  • 1874 North Plains Grange was formed
  • Spring 1874
    • 54 new homes were being constructed
    • Sign, carriage, and house painter, John Schoeni, opened a new shop over Melow's blacksmith shop
    • J. A. Salyer was an agent for the Weed Sewing Machine
    • The Hubbardston Exchange Bank with Banker N. B. Hayes and Cashier E. B. Percival offered drafts and passage tickets from all over Europe
    • Wm. Carnahan operated a stage route from Carson City and Hubbardston to Pewamo, trips daily
    • P. R. Cleary conducted Penmanship School (later establishing Cleary Busniess College in Ypsilanti)
    • The Sash and Blind Factory diversified into churns and beehives
  • 1876 Ancient Order of United Workingmen was formed
  • 1877 The Hubbardston Reform Club was organized with a membership of 100
  • 1878 The Hubbardston Trotting Association was formed
  • 1879 The Hubbardston Fire Company No. 1, Fire Engine and Hose Cart Company was formed
  • 1879 Wilson Homer sawmill burned
  • 1887 Holbrook's store offered 2 pounds of steak for 20 cents and 18 pounds of coffee for $1.00
  • 1892 Public Library organized by the Ladies Library Association, Mrs. Kilpatrick as first President
may there always be a hubbardston
web site design: duane fahey